Richard W. Wackerfuss
81 Monroe Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103
With 25 years of trial success throughout Tennessee and Mississippi, Richard W. Wackerfuss brings a proven level of trust and experience to his clients. His practice history primarily involves insurance defense including motor vehicle and trucking accidents, premises liability, business and insurance coverage litigation. Rick Wackerfuss develops smart, customized, and cost-conscious strategies for every matter — regardless of whether the client is a business or an individual.
Rick’s civil trial court experience includes:
- Defense summary judgment for alleged defective design/manufacture of stool in casino.
- Defense verdict — alleged negligent operation of garbage truck while collecting trash — U.S. District Court (S.D. Miss.).
- Exclusion of Plaintiff’s engineering expert and directed verdict for convenience store arising from alleged improper construction of display case.
- Plaintiff insurance company’s summary judgment for declaration of no coverage for oil well explosion because of application of “Business Pursuits” exclusion in homeowner’s policy.
- Defense summary judgement in State Court (MS) nullifying insurance company’s duty to defend because of insured’s lack of notice and cooperation.
- Defense verdict — alleged contaminated beverage at a casino.
- Defense verdict — speeding motorcyclist alleged improper lane change after rear-ending SUV.
- Defense verdict — alleged injuries in low speed vehicle crash.
- Defense verdict — alleged negligent construction of a home addition.
- Defense verdict — alleged negligent fence maintenance by cattle operator causing escaped cow.
- Defense summary judgement — exclusive application of ERISA to medical insurance coverage dispute – U.S. District Court (S.D. Miss.).
- University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, Mississippi
- University of Mississippi School of Law
- Hartford Ins. Co. vs. Sheffield, 808 So.2d 891 (Miss. 2001)
- State Farm Fire & Cas. Co. vs. Sparks, Not Reported in S.W.3rd (Tenn. Ct. App. 2007)
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Claims Litigation Management Alliance
- Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility Hearing Committee Member
- Mississippi, 1990
- Tennessee, 1990
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 1990
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1990
- Supreme Court of Mississippi, 2021
Current Employment Position
- Equity Member
- Insurance Defense
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Construction Law
- Business Disputes
- Workers Compensation