Richard E. Sorin
81 Monroe Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103
Richard E. Sorin is trusted counsel to clients from all over the country who have litigation needs anywhere in Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky. Richard works tirelessly to protect his clients’ interests, to keep his clients informed, and to bring disputes to final resolution through dismissal, trial or settlement. He has been representing individuals and businesses of all size in the defense of wrongful death and personal injury cases since 1995, and he has been with the firm since its inception in 2002. These cases arise in various contexts, including products liability; nursing home litigation; professional liability (in the defense of pharmacists, insurance agents, medical providers, attorneys, and other professionals); trucking litigation; premises liability (in the defense of homeowners, retail business owners, landlords, and other commercial ventures); class action litigation and automobile accidents.
Richard has chaired and spoken at national seminars that focus on premises liability in the retail and hospitality industry and on the presentation of those cases to juries at trial.
Examples of Richard’s civil trial court experience include:
- Successful defense of class action litigation as lead counsel in case tried to jury with 1,200 Plaintiffs.
- Multiple defense jury verdicts in premises liability case.
- Defense jury verdict in employment discrimination case.
- Multiple jury trials in admitted liability cases where the verdicts were less than the medical expenses being claimed.
- Multiple jury trials in admitted liability cases where the verdicts were significantly less then the pre-trial offers.
- Dismissal of wrongful death case on basis of venue upheld by Supreme Court of Arkansas.
- Summary judgement for land developer in personal injury case.
- Multiple summary judgements for property owners in premises liability cases.
- Summary judgement for individual defendant in auto accident case.
- Summary judgement for insurance company in uninsured motorist case.
- Successful defense of emergency equipment manufacturer in wrongful death case.
- Memphis State University School of Law, Memphis, Tennessee
- J.D. – 1995
- Indiana University, Indiana
- B.S. – 1991
- B.S. – 1991
- American Jurisprudence Award for Appellate Advocacy
Classes & Seminars
- Retail & Hospitality Liability Conference; Chairperson, 2006; Speaker, 2005.
- Premises Liability Case Preparation and Trial, Speaker, 2008.
- “Mining Medical Records – Principles for the Cross-Exam of a Plaintiffs Physician”, For The Defense (December, 2009)
- Appellate Practice
- Insurance Defense
- Motor Vehicle
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Tennessee, 1995
- Arkansas, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Arkansas, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2003
- New York, 2007
- Kentucky, 2014
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 2019
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2018
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee, 2016
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2015
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 2012
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Memphis Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Equity Member